Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Conference

Conferences went fine. His teacher had pictures to show us of the children's family. Sammy's was cute. He even had our dog on it. I am going to have it framed at the end of the year. She said that she would have liked to see him use more body parts and move beyond the stick man. I was surprised because all the pictures I have hanging of his have bodies. He must have been in a hurry or something.

She said that she tested him and he knew all but one of his letters, all his numbers and shapes and all of his colors except for brown which he confuses with black. She said that he is a leader (no shocker there) and he is very social. She said that she feels he should go to kindergarten this year even with an August birthday. When I told her I would not be sending him anywhere next year, she said "I think that is a mistake". I told her that I did not like the 5's teacher and she was shocked. Her mouth actually dropped. I am too blunt I guess. She even giggled after I said it out of shock. It was funny.

As I was leaving she said to make an apt with his kindergarten and do a sit in and I would probably decide to go ahead and send him.

I left feeling great that he was doing well but really torn about next year. First I reconsidered sending him next year thinking maybe I should. I talked to Steve who is home today and he usually gives me NOTHING. Today, he said "Once you put them in kindergarten, that is it for 18 years". That is true. I decided right that moment that he is not going next year period. However, I can't decide if I should put him in preschool again. I don't want to because I can't afford it...I really would be pushing it. I hate taking him 3 days a week for only 2 1/2 hours. It messes up any museum trips or zoo trips. It is hard to do anything else those days. And lastly, I do not like the 5's teacher so I would have to find a new preschool. BUT, he loves the social interaction, he thrives in school and his teacher said that she is afraid of Sammy not being challenged enough. Can I do it from home? I am not sure I can. I used to think I could but I don't have time to clean my house, let a lone sit with only Sammy to teach him. So, I have a lot of thinking to do. I want him reading completely before starting kindergarten and his teacher said that he is almost reading. She said that it would take very little to get him to read. This summer, I hope to teach him...if I figure out how to do that.

She also said that Steve could go on the field trip and only walk with Sammy. Whew, good thing.

So, no big crisis here but I do have decisions to make. If preschool was not so expensive, I would do that. Oh well, I will figure it out.

I have not had any diet melt downs today and I am back on track. I have not weighed myself yet. A bit afraid to. Have a good one everybody.

18 comments:

Crystal said...

I have very strong feelings regarding the kindergarten decision. I say do not send him next year! I think if you don't have to start him, then don't, wait as long as possible. Daws has a September birthday and we waited to send him and we are sooo glad we did! I truly feel it's in the best interest of the child to wait. I think that the longer they have to prepare for school the better and not only academically but socially and maturity as well. I also didn't want Daws to always be the youngest and smallest in his class instead he's one of the oldest and biggest. Kindergarten is not what it was when we went to school, it's much harder and they learn a whole lot so the longer they have to prepare and to mature, the better for both boys and girls but especially boys. Every teacher I spoke to when I was making the decision said that waiting was best. It really does give them a headstart when they do go....they are more ready in all areas and have a much better chance at succeeding and not struggling. Just my opinion though!

Lura said...

I am writing a post about some of the things mention in here. I think some of the things the teacher said are so ridiculous! I stand by my earlier comment, do what you feel is write and don't let anyone else make you feel guilty for doing it.

Char said...

You can try the hooked on phonics program for Sammy. Get it from the library first and if you like it, and if you need to, then buy it. I think it's $100.00 for K. It really helped Travis more than anything else. You can also get the Bob Books. Those are really good for teaching letter sounds. The Letter Factory movies are good too. They are by Leap Frog.
I don't get why schools are in such a hurry to get your kids in school. Well, ok, i do, but it's not right! I say keep him home. Teach him what you can with the time you have. Take him places and enjoy your time with him. I hate that the government gets our kids once they turn 6! I hate it! It's one of the reasons why we rebel and not send ours. I agree with Crystal, K is a lot harder than it used to be and there is so much pressure on kids to do great. They are worried about their schools scores and their funding. Better scores, more money gets funneled to them. With the NCLB act, students have to be able to do a lot more at younger ages. More than I personally think they are ready to do. Let kids be kids! Let kids grow and learn at their own pace. Kids will be adults all too soon, so hang on to them as long as you can. Why even start kids in pre-school at 4 when you don't have to? The best thing for little kids is play. Learn thru playing. Structured learning will happen soon enough.
Anyway, I'm off my soapbox now.

Have you ever thought about virtual schooling? Just a thought!

Char said...

I like what Lura said "Do what you think is right and don't let anyone else make you feel guilty for doing it."
He's your kid, do what you think is best! Stupid teacher lady, what does she know anyway!!! haha

Char said...

Oh and if you really think he's ready to read and need more ideas and resources, let me know. Email me or let me know on here. I have some things that I have used and have worked great. Like teaching sight words and sounds and such.

Cheryl said...

I agree complete with Crystal. I remember the letter people I love them. I have a phonics thing I accidentally got from a book order you can use that if you want. I haven't even opened it.

Crystal said...

Whoa somebody actually agreed with me! I'm shocked.....I'm usually the odd man out! ha ha

Crystal said...

Hey Charity, tell us how you really feel!!! SAL

Jamie said...

Wow, I can't believe it!! Something we all pretty much agree on!! I am so glad Sonya posted this because between her post and everyone's comments I feel so good about the choices I've made regarding Abby's education. She's a late September birthday and I decided after what I thought was plenty of investigation into the subject to hold her another year and I have got nothing but flack over it from my family and even some from my husband. They all think I am do her some injustice by keeping her "home" (she's still in preschool two days a week) another year. I just felt really strongly about it and it made perfect sense to me. I couldn't believe how strongly they felt otherwise. But I stuck with it and she's enrolled for preschool only next year, just two days and I'm so glad I stuck to it. You'd think they'd let their MOTHERS figure these things out, but I guess they always feel like they know better. It just infuriated me when they kept saying I was only doing it to keep my baby home with me another year. Do I like having her home? Of course I do, but that was only a small portion of my decision. I was a December baby who turned six two months after starting and I felt like it was great to be at the age I was. This way she'll only be about 10 weeks older than I was when I was in school in stead of being 7 1/2 months younger. That just seems silly. Do I think she's probably ready and could handle it? Maybe, I'm not completely sure, but knowing her I"m sure she'd be ok. I don't know why everyone always thinks they know so much better about what we should do with own kids. I just couldn't imagine sending a 17 year old girl to college...are you kidding me??? 18 is young enough!!!

Char said...

Glad you stuck to your decision Jamie! I know you did the right thing! And so what if "you are only doing it to keep your baby home with you anohter year". That is your choice! You'll have to "give her up" soon enough! Enjoy your time with her! Good for you!
Todd is an October baby and he went to school when he was 4. Graduated at 17 and attended college at 17! He was really small when he was in the younger grades and was teased a lot for it. I'm sure that if he'd been able to go to school a year later that he wouldn't have been teased as much. Teasing can just ruin your self esteem so much! College at 17 isn't good, I agree!

Jamie said...

Yeah I agree it's a valid reason to want your baby home, but they made it seem like I was just being selfish and thinking of only what I wanted, which I believe is not the case at all.

SamandSawyersMom said...

amen sisters. i will say that i was not as offened by her giving her opinion as you all were. our pediatriciton said "it will be detrimental not to send Sammy". her words were even harsher. I don't mind help, i feel like I need the help.

Cheryl said...

I see how it can hurt a child to stay home another year. They will learn the same stuff in 2008 as in 2007. The teachers follow the same schedule, it's not like they will miss something. They just be older and more mature. I don't see the down side.

Lura said...

That's what I was trying to say. How does she know that it will be a "mistake"?

SamandSawyersMom said...

she is saying that he is on a roll (sts) with learning so much etc. why stop it

Lura said...

Don't you think kids that age are always on a roll learning? What's (sts)?

Crystal said...

Yeah, what's (sts)???

SamandSawyersMom said...

so to speak hello?