Monday, May 3, 2010













I had a newborn shoot on Saturday and I was so excited. Steve and I shot the wedding of this couple so it was cool that we also shot their first baby pics. Both shoots, the wedding and the hospital shoots, were booked by the new mom's parents. At the wedding the bride seemed angry to have us there. We got beautiful shots but very few of her as the bride. It became a joke with the two of us that she hated me. She would barely giggle and say "nah I love your pictures". She is just not a smiley, happy person it appears.

So, when I got the call to do the hospital shoot, I asked her mom to call and ask Andrea specifically if she wanted me there. I didn't want to go if this was just for her parents. She called me back and said that Andrea wanted us there and we could go at 5.

Steve and I went in armed with my infant setup..fluffy blankets, a basket, a few lens. She hardly said a word. I asked her if I should just take the baby (his daddy had him) and she shook her head yes. So I did (and wanted to kiss him) and started shooting. I tried to stay very quiet yet be friendly. I asked if the outfit had a special meaning. She said no but that they call him MonkeyButt and the outfit had a monkey on his butt. That was a lot of personality for her. So, I took straight on shots, normal ones..everyday boring shots. Then I asked if she wanted to hold the baby, hold his hand, kiss him, hold him up for me etc. She just shrugged her shoulders! I was like ...ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? So, I went on taking the same poses being very thankful that he was awake most of the time. I left feeling unartistic, uncreative. I had such plans.

I decided right then that I won't do another one until I speak to the mom and see what she wants. I assumed many times during the shoot that she wouldn't want me to to lift him, turn him, prop him safely etc. but I really didn't know that.
Overall, the pictures were fine. I just wish I could have done all my blurry techniques etc. Oh well!

After her wedding and after the Chinese couple's wedding, both where the brides hated having their pics taken, I added a whole section to our wedding contract about it. The last couple I interviewed with laughed at the section and couldn't imagine paying all that money to refuse to smile. So, I learn more everyday about it. They signed several months ago and their wedding is May 22. So, we shall see!!

5 comments:

Carrie said...

That baby is so precious! I am sorry the mom is so unfriendly. Very strange.

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE if you are able to come to the hospital to do some shots of Stella when she is born. I don't want to do Growing Family...too expensive and boring!
I want some of me and her and Matt and Olivia together...you can hold her and kiss her and prop her as much as you want.

sonya said...

Thanks Carrie. I prop safely..don't worry...ha. And I will take you up on that kiss..I love new baby heads.

Lura said...

I love the first picture with his hands in his mouth.

Char said...

He is adorable!! Great job with the pics.

Amy said...

I love brand new babies!! Always makes me want another one. Too weird about the way the mom acted though.