Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Posty Post Butty Heads

This could be 14 days long!! I have a lot going on.

So, I made a huge decision for my center and I am not sure if I posted about it or not. Anyway, I decided that even though I am always "there" for my kids, I was so disconnected to Samuel's school and I hated it. He made a few comments about me being the only mom that had not gone on a field trip etc. So, a change had to be made! I considered quitting my job..over and over again. It was pretty certain I would when Steve found a job. Then, I realized that I make very good money and that I would have to work very hard at photography to make that kind of money. This job and the money are already here.

So, I wrote the families (5) a letter explaining that I would be taking one day off every single month. Every month without fail. I would NOT charge them for this day and it would not be the same day every month. I promised a 2 week notice and more if I could. I waited to see what they would say...knowing at least one would not take it well. Oh and I also told them that on Sept 1, I would be raising my prices by $5 a week..to $130 a week. I gave them plenty of notice in case that would not work for any of them.

Most took it well. I had one mom so mad that she barely spoke to me the next morning. She was livid about the day off. So, I took a day of her silent treatment and then put in the daily report to everyone that if anyone had a problem with the change, they needed to give notice. I was spending time with my kids and I would not apologize for this move. I reminded them that I have a waiting list and would go to it if anyone could not handle the change.

Miraculously, she got over it. I was sick at first about losing $150 for one day off but I can't think of it like that. I had to think of it as a wonderful opportunity to be in the classroom, actually take my kids to their dentist's appointments, and to spend an entire week day with my children. Now, I have a hard time picking only one day.

My first day off was last week. I chose it because Samuel's class was doing an all day Jesus Retreat..kinda like VBS. We had stations all over the gym and the children came to each station. I was in charge of the bread making station because of my skills in the baking department...SM. Another mom was actually in charge, I just helped! This mom asked me to go to breakfast with her that morning because we were early. That was nice.

Halfway through the retreat, my bread making partner and breakfast buddy collapsed on the floor. Yep! So I ran over and called for help. Everyone ran over and we thought she was fine at first. They walked away and she was talking crazy while she was still on the floor. I told her I wanted to put her on her chair. I lifted her to her chair. The next day, I was in serious pain. It was intense pain from lifting her and she was a small lady. Anyway, after hearing her say things that made no sense, I asked another mom to help me. They ended up calling an ambulance and they kept her at the hospital the rest of the retreat until her blood sugar was normal. She is diabetic and has MS apparently! I saw her Friday night and Sunday at Mass and she was fine. I wanted to ask her so bad if a monkey really had stale cheese under her bed but I didn't think it was appropriate.

Last week was a huge week for the 2nd graders of SJCS..they were celebrating their first Communion. Thurs was the retreat, Friday was bread making at the teacher's house and Sunday was Communion. It was sooooooooo busy for all of us. We had to send in stuff everyday, sign permission slips...etc.etc. NUTS!!! Samuel obviously did not take first Communion but we went to support his class and take video and pics. He also had a solo.

Just going that one day has made all the kids know me. Samuel loves that they love me. He thinks that is just wonderful. The other moms are quite fashionable and mostly gorgeous. They mostly have money and mostly attended the same school when they were little. In fact, one boy is a 4th generation SJCS student. The school is 100 years old. I feel pretty comfortable. I find myself very unimpressed with fancy bags and shoes. I like women who wear them but I just do not find it impressive. At Mass, they were all wearing at least a shade of the lime green that is so popular. I decided that I was much less cool than I even thought. I was so proud and happy to have on an outfit that fit and had zero stains. I decided one day I would look up the "color" of the season and wear it just for the fun of it!! I might throw in a fancy bag too.

So, on my first day off, I spent it at school ruining bread, my back and any chance to walk the runway and then I was able to take Samuel home with me. We left with his friend Emari and went straight out to my in laws to pick Sawyer up. I spent the rest of the day playing with my boys (Emari included since he is here A LOT) and then I went to bed such a happy mommy. The money lost never crossed my mind that day.

My May day off is the 7th because Samuel has a trip to the IMAGO center. I looked it up and I think it is an environmental place. RIGHT UP MY ALLEY...just like the bread. But, I am happy to be there again. For June, my plan is to take off Samuel's last day of school so I can take them straight to Great Wolf afterwards for the weekend. I still do not know if I can get GWL that weekend though.

Steve's job is fantastic!~ Thanks for the prayers.

My dad is home again. I spoke to him a few minutes ago but he was out of it from being sleepy.

Photography is BOOMING and I am letting go of a lot this year. I am just too busy. I have every weekend booked with something through June.

I am very blessed and very happy. Have a great rest of the week.

5 comments:

Carrie said...

whoa momma! What a nice post! I am happy that you have decided to take the time for you and your boys. That is precious and I am happy the unhappy mother got over herself.

We had a patient pass out last year, flat on the floor & it freaked me out...I started calling for the nurse...I just let her lay on the floor, but she was unconscious for a couple minutes. I don't do well in those situations!

I am so happy your photography business is booming! I hope you will be able to squeeze me in when the baby arrives :/

SamandSawyersMom said...

Thanks!

Most of the people calling for photography are returning customers from last summer. That is so nice. I tried to raise my CD price but everyone asks about it the minute they call. Since they paid $150 last year, I feel stuck. So, I raised it and then took it down again.

I will fit ya in! I could always do a Sunday.

Amanda said...

Sounds like you are enjoying things in Covertland!
I am impressed that you wore and outfit that fit with no stains. I would have noticed! I don't think I own any of those, so I think it is very fashionable!
I am glad you survived the breadmaking. Why didn't you offer to take in the recipe Lura gave you? Didn't you have a lot of success with that? ;) - I am just remembering the FB photos of it!

I have never heard of IMAGO. Make sure you post lots of pics!
Glad Steve's job is going well, that must be such a relief to you both!
I wish you lived closer so we could get some pics taken. Maybe when I lose all this weight I'll make a special trip there so we can have some family pics done! Pencil me in for Fall, that's my goal!!!

Thanks for the long post!!!

Cheryl said...

I love being at Ryan's school. All the kids know you and get so excited to see you. It also gives you a good relationship with the teachers.

Amy said...

That's awesome that you are taking a day off! It's your busines and you can run it however you like! Like you said, you have a waiting list, so if people don't like it you can find someone who does!